1 tbsp herb & garlic breadcrumbs
1 small onion, finely chopped
250g beef mince
250g pork mince
1 egg, beaten
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp black pepper
3/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp canola oil
3 tbsp plain flour
500ml beef stock
1. Put all the meatball ingredients except the oil in a large bowl and mix thoroughly with hands.
2. Roll the meatball mix into 3cm balls. You should have about 24.
3. In a deep, medium sized non-stick frying pan, brown the meatballs over a medium-high heat in two batches, about 3 minutes per batch. They will still be raw inside. Remove to a plate.
4. In the same pan, lower the heat to medium and melt the butter until foamy. Add the flour and stir for 2 minutes to cook it out.
5. Add about a quarter of the stock, stirring constantly as it thickens into a lump-free paste. Stir in the remaining stock and raise the heat so it reaches a simmer.
6. Add the meatballs and any juices on the plate and simmer for about 10 minutes. The sauce will thicken to a gravy while cooking the meatballs.
7. Stir in the cream, simmer for another 3-4 minutes.
8. Serve with vegetables (I used mashed potato and some broccoli and cauliflower florets tossed on in oil and oven roasted on a high heat for 20 minutes)
This is an adaptation of a Nagi Maehashi recipe from her book Recipe Tin Eats Dinner.