500gm chicken (breast or boneless/skinless thighs), chopped
2 tbsp olive oil
juice of 1/2 a lemon
3 curry leaves
1 cup pumpkin, chopped
1 cup carrots, chopped
3 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
2 tbps curry paste
1 tbsp soy sauce
400ml coconut milk
1 cup green beans, chopped to 3cm lengths
1/2 red onion, chopped
1 cup cauliflower florets
1 cup broccoli florets
1/2 cup frozen peas
1/2 cup green onions, sliced
4 cups Basmati rice
1. In a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan, heat the olive oil over high heat. Add the chicken, lemon juice and curry leaves, season, and brown the chicken. It’ll take 5 minutes or so to cook off the liquid, and then another 3 or 4 minutes to brown.
2. Reduce the heat to medium, add the carrots and pumpkin, garlic, curry paste and soy sauce. Stir to combine and cook for 5 minutes.
3. Add the coconut milk, stir to combine, and let it come to a simmer.
4. Add the beans, capsicum, red onion, and cauliflower, and simmer gently for 10-15 minutes with the lid on.
5. Add the peas and simmer for further 5 minutes with the lid off to thicken: you’re aiming for something that’s not too runny but not too thick either. Stir in the green onions.
6. Serve in bowls, with serve-yourself rice, breads and side dishes.
You could add some chopped coriander or basil just before serving.
Store bought curry paste is fine for this (if it’s mild, add some chilli flakes for some kick), although it can be fun to make your own. Same goes for the sides.
I’ve become a fan of microwavable rice, convenient and very tasty.
I used this combination of vegetables because I already had them handy. Swap for other vegetables as you like: potatoes, parsnips, capsicum of any colour would all work well.