1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 brown onion, finely chopped
1 medium carrot, finely chopped
1 celery stick, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
500g pork and veal mince
1 tbsp plain flour
75ml white wine
500ml chicken stock
2 sprigs sage
3 bay leaves
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a low heat.
2. Lightly saute the onion, carrot and celery to make a soffrito, 8-10 minutes.
3. Add the garlic, cook another 2-3 minutes.
4. Add the meat, mix well, and turn heat up to moderate to brown.
5. Sprinkle in the flour and mix well.
6. Turn the heat up to moderate-high and stir in the wine, about 3 minutes to cook off the alcohol.
7. Add the milk, stock, sage and bay leaves, and bring to a high simmer.
8. Reduce the heat and simmer for 1 hour.
9. Once thickened, remove the bay leaves, season to taste, and add cream.
10. Simmer for another 5-10 minutes.
11. Spoon over cooked spaghetti, sprinkle with grated parmesan.
12. Serve with bread.