700g chicken breast fillets, sliced thickly
White and light green parts of 1 leek, well rinsed and sliced thickly
100g baby spinach
450g potatoes, sliced thinly
250ml chicken stock
20ml white wine
15g fresh basil leaves, torn or chopped
200-25-g grated tasty cheese (depending on size of dish – enough to cover)
1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
Salt & pepper
1. Preheat oven to 180.
2. Spray a baking dish with olive oil.
3. Pan fry the chicken breast over medium-high heat in a little oil with some salt and pepper until golden and a bit crispy, about 5-6 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
4. In the same pan, melt a knob of butter and gently fry leek over low-medium heat to soften, about 3-4 minutes. Add a splash of white wine and let bubble away.
5. For the last minute or so, add the spinach to wilt. Remove from pan and set aside.
6. Slice potatoes thinly and layer about a third of them in the bottom of the baking dish. Season with a little salt, pepper, oregano and a few basil leaves.
7. Layer half the chicken slices on top of the potatoes.
8. Spread half the leek & spinach mixture on top of the chicken.
9. Layer another third of the potatoes on top of the vegetable mixture. Season with a little more salt, pepper, oregano and a few more basil leaves.
10. Layer the rest of the chicken on top of the potatoes.
11. Spread the rest of the leek & spinach mixture on top of the chicken.
12. Layer the rest of the potatoes on top of the vegetable mixture.
13. Carefully pour in the stock and then the cream, trying not to disturb the potatoes, chicken and vegetables too much.
14. Season with a little more salt, pepper, oregano and a few more basil leaves.
15. Sprinkle the grated cheese on top to cover the whole mixture.
16. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
17. Remove foil and bake for another 30 minutes.
18. Serve with some steamed or blanched carrots.